- Discovery Service (SLP is good)
- Service Subtyping
- Service Appearance and Disappearance: Highly dynamic updates in both service arrival and demise (except crash of service)
- Service Browsing
- Catalogs of Available services: UPnP is inherently P2P, hence doesn't require catalogs to be published, Jini publishes catalogs for clients, whereas SLP has both options.
- Garbage Collection: Leases are a popular garbage collection mechanism.
- User Agents(UA) search for needed services on behalf of clients.
- Language Neutral.
- Device and service descriptions are coded in XML.
- UPnP does not support service directories - communication between devices and clients is always direct.
- UPnP is aimed at smaller environments.
- (UPnP SDK)
- Blutooth devices maintains sets of service records, each of which describes an available service.
- Is lightweight , because it is meant for Personal Area Networks